[Xastir] Xastir on a Dell Mini 9

Mike Loebl mloebl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:13:11 EDT 2009

Hi Kevin,

	I installed it on my Dell Mini 9 and it works fine on Jaunty.  I did
have to shut off the Desktop effects in GHOME under Appearance so I could do
initial setup of the interfaces (or else the windows didn't display
correctly.)  I really didn't have any major problems with getting it to
build;  I did an initial configure, than added the missing packages thru the
package manager.  After a few times back and forth getting the packages, it
built clean.  I'm not sure what the latest Xastir binary package is in
Jaunty as I always build it myself, but I'd recommend not install the Ubuntu
package, and just download the latest source and build it.  Since the SSD
storage is small (16gb on mine) I download the Tiger maps on-demand thru
tethering on my cell phone and also try to use the cached maps thru
bookmarks.  With a cheap USB GPS and my cell phone, for Christmas I was able
to continuously download maps and track/beacon from my house to my in-laws
in Maine.  Makes me want to put a computer in my car :)

	-Mike
	KB1MTS