[Xastir] 2008 Tiger Map edge.dbfawk

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Wed Apr 29 22:52:06 EDT 2009

> As a followup on this discussion, you have to actually remove the
> tabblock* files.  Removing just the tabblock.dbfawk file is not
> sufficient - the default values are applied to the tabblock* files,
> with the tabblock.dbfawk file missing from the config folder.
>
> Also, as a footnote, even though I do like the offline Tiger maps,
> there are some shortcomings:
>
> 1.  I noticed that city/town streets and county roads are not
> differentiated.  Bummer!  I would like the county roads visible and
> labeled *before* the streets are labeled as you zoom in.  It would
> take a major redo of the data in the edges.dbf file, me-thinks.
> Maybe with some thought and the proper tools it might be feasible.
>
> 2.  With the tabblock files gone, the city/town outlines disappear -
> nice shading.  Bummer!  Again, a redo of the tabblock.dbf would
> probably do the trick.  Depending upon how many city/towns in a given
> county, that might not be too hard.

Following up on myself...  On the way home from church tonight, I had
a brainstorm about how to solve the second issue, the shading of a
Town/City area - that's one of the things that tabblock stuff does.
I had left one of my counties with it's tabblock.* files in place -
several of the other counties I had deleted them.

I edited my saved tabblock.dbfawk in the line "BEGIN RECORD {...}" to
set the "display_level=1" and the "label_level=1" instead of the
defaults.  I left the rule line "/^UR=U {...}" alone.  It's the one
that shades the Town/City areas yellow.

My thinking was that all other entries in the tabblock.dbf would obey
the BEGIN RECORD "rules" as default.  YES!  it worked.  I now have
county roads disappearing above my zoom level, but the Town/City
shading still works!  That appears to solve issue 2.

Issue 1 is still a problem.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT