[Xastir] Problems with lighting up Counties, NWS files

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Aug 1 00:21:17 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 04:12:45PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > See the problem?  The files are different sizes but the same name.
> > Also the timestamps on the three files with new sizes are also
> > changed.
>
> On the good machine (counties light up), "dbfdump c_03oc08.dbf |
> head" and then a bit of editing yields:
>
>      STATE
>      CWA
>      COUNTYNAME
>      FIPS
>      TIME_ZONE
>      FE_AREA
>      LON
>      LAT
>
> On the bad machine with the newer file I get:
>
>      OBJECTID
>      SHAPE_LENG
>      SHAPE_AREA
>      STATE
>      CWA
>      COUNTYNAME
>      FIPS
>      TIME_ZONE
>      FE_AREA
>      LON
>      LAT
>
> Rather a drastic change in the DBF file format!  They added three
> new fields onto the beginning.

Those three fields are no real problem except that they break the match with
our dbfawk file.  I just committed a new dbfawk file that will match the
signature you just posted.  I did it as a new file instead of editing the old
one, so that those with old shapefiles are not forced to update; xastir will
simply use the dbfawk file that matches.

Lemme know if this fixes things --- I'm one of the people who doesn't want to
update his shapefiles, so I can't test it.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation