[Xastir] Problems with lighting up Counties, NWS files

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Aug 2 01:17:33 EDT 2009

Alex Carver wrote:
> --- On Sun, 8/2/09, Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
>> How to get the warning disseminated in all its various
>> forms was something we struggled with. I was the only
>> non-NWS guy on the committee, and we still meet
>> periodically, and worry about these things.  Using an
>> expanded FIPS code provides more info by decimating the
>> county into 9 sectors:
>
> [big snip]
>
> I don't mean to imply the switch was a bad idea.  In fact, the list you give does present a lot of interesting options for the utility of the switch.  I just wanted to point out the one thing that stopped working after the switch which I used a lot.  I lived in Atlanta until early this year.  Anytime a storm was moving through, several local I-gates were broadcasting the WXSVR packets and the coding allowed the FIPS codes to be visible in the extended view of the packet (before the switch of course).   I have a workaround which is to spin the VFO over to NOAA radio when I see an alert and then just listen to the automated broadcast so it's not impossible.

More to the point, I AM interested in things like this.  However, I
offer that, while purpose-built for APRS, the D7[01]0 is a flawed radio
when folks try to do too much with it.

Now to add to the mix, it looks like WXSVR is dead and while Pete
Loveall has something together that will serve out similar data, the one
we relied upon for so long is history.  Sorta the nature of the hobby:
Someone drops a service and it's not replicated elsewhere.  I've been
trying to make sure the Core stays replicated and geographically
diverse, and I'm doing the same with the CWOP servers.  But that's
another story.

gc
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983