[Xastir] NetworkManager, was Re: Unuseable tiny dialog boxes on Aspire One under Ubuntu 8.04

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Aug 12 13:11:02 EDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Tom Russo wrote:

> Word, I hear you.  I run FVWM2 on my BSD boxen.  I only run Gnome on the
> Ubuntu laptop, and it works OK as long as I don't gum it up with too much eye
> candy.

FWIW (May help somebody else):  I have a need on my laptop to
connect to free internet via wireless at various places, and to
switch the wired ethernet config between home and work.  I had
difficulty switching the wireless portion using OpenSuSE-11.1 and
FVWM2, although the wired ethernet switch was do-able.

N7ipb at brunch talked me into switching to "NetworkManager", which
does this sort of switch easily, but I had to run "knetworkmanager"
to control it, which wasn't working under FVWM2.  This forced me to
run KDE on the old slow laptop for a few months.  It's a 650MHz PIII
laptop, so it sucked.

Recently I revisited the issue and found I could run "KTray" from my
FVWM2 startup so that the docking apps could dock.  I now auto-start
"NetworkManager" and "knetworkmanager" when I log in and have all
the functionality to switch networks without the overhead of Gnome
or KDE.   It's a brave new world!