[Xastir] NetworkManager, was Re: Unuseable tiny dialog boxes on Aspire One under Ubuntu 8.04

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:22:31 EDT 2009

On 8/12/09, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> Recently I revisited the issue and found I could run "KTray" from my
> FVWM2 startup so that the docking apps could dock.  I now auto-start
> "NetworkManager" and "knetworkmanager" when I log in and have all
> the functionality to switch networks without the overhead of Gnome
> or KDE.   It's a brave new world!

I don't know if wicd is available in the SuSE repo's, but in the
Debian/Ubuntu world, it's readily available and is typically what is
used to manage wireless connections when lightweight window managers
are used like Fluxbox and Openbox.  Installing it in Kubuntu is also a
nice way around the "KDE Wallet"  password entry for wireless
connections that is implemented by default.  I think wicd can be
installed in Gnome to avoid the "default keyring" as well, but I
haven't tried that yet.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX