[Xastir] possible xastir software engineering course project

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 09:21:56 EDT 2009

I know there have been discussions of desirable V2 features, but if it
has been formalized I haven't seen it.

My expectations were that the students would likely fork xastir,
rather than submit actual changes against 1.9.latest.  If things work
out exceedingly well, this fork could be the basis for V2.

Depending on the desires of the students, simply porting the current
version of xastir to use Qt as the GUI base may be doable.

I know that a GIS-enabled RDB is mentioned frequently, but I
personally have doubts about requiring a full-up RDB installation as
part of a basic xastir install.  Are there GIS extensions for, eg,
sqlite?  hmm, google says there is: http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite/

I brought up the subject with the profs in the spring.  I didn't
realize it was being considered until I found myself with 48 (now 24)
hours to put together a description. |:

If there is enough interest, I thought about throwing together a
mailman list so that the students and any parties who are sufficiently
interested to interface with students have a place to communicate.

-Jason
kg4wsv