[Xastir] [Xastir-dev] possible xastir software engineering course project

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:27:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Gerry Creager<gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
> Think of implementing positions and objects in a PostGIS or similar
> geospatial(-aware) database...

I thought about that, but my concern is that requiring an extended RDB
as part of an xastir install seems a bit heavy for a typical user.
I'm basing this concern on a typical MySQL installation.  Am I off
base?

On the other hand, I did find that there are GIS extensions for
sqlite, and Qt has sqlite extensions.  (For those of you who care,
sqlite is a library-only SQL that uses plain files for the database.
No external packages, no daemons.  it's very convenient for portable
lighter-weight RDB work.)

> Great idea.  Keep us posted!  Will you be teaching parts of this?

Nah, I'm just staff (only a BS), and this is a graduate course.  I
have high hopes, 'cause these folks should be capable of some good
work.  If they'll just pick my (our) project....

--
-Jason
kg4wsv