[Xastir] [Xastir-dev] possible xastir software engineering course project

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 20 11:41:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Gerry Creager<gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
>> Think of implementing positions and objects in a PostGIS or similar
>> geospatial(-aware) database...
>
> I thought about that, but my concern is that requiring an extended RDB
> as part of an xastir install seems a bit heavy for a typical user.
> I'm basing this concern on a typical MySQL installation.  Am I off
> base?

PostGIS/Postgres is the direction I've been leaning in for several
years too.  We use Postgres at work, having switched from Sybase,
and are quite happy with it.  MySQL has made big strides over the
last few years but Postgres is darned-near bulletproof.  Like
Sybase.

I'd really like to see generic SQL used so that the back-end could
be abstracted.  Then we could use SQLite/Berkeley DB (yuk!) or even
flat files on extremely low-end equipment, MySQL or Postgres on real
hardware like laptops on up.