[Xastir] Feature updates?

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:15:47 EST 2009

Hi all,

I remember I had a discussion with Curt quite a while ago about having the
option to turn off transmitting of certain objects, but continue
transmitting others. I was wondering if any work had been done on
accomplishing that?

I also have a suggestion to have a couple more audio alarms added. Currently
Xastir can alert you when it has heard a new station, you have received a
message, a station is located within your proximity settings, there is a
band opening, and a weather alert has been received. I'm hoping additional
alerts can be added for when your station transmits a position packet, and
when that packet is echoed from a digipeater.

I have had the opportunity to use a Kenwood TH-D7 while portable on a mock
search and rescue when we were testing the digipeater function of a mobile
mounted TM-D700. It was really nice using the D7 because I had it set to
beep when it transmitted a position packet and also beep when the echo was
heard from the digipeater. Because of this, just by ear I knew when I had
transmitted my position, and when I had made it into the digipeater.

These extra audio alerts don't seem like they would be too difficult to add,
but I think they would be very helpful to have especially when mobile. And
if they were set up just like the existing alerts anyone not wishing to use
them could just turn them off.

I recall seeing a version 2 mentioned at times on here. Does anyone know
where any information on that is located? Would that be on the Xastir
developer list?

Thanks for the time,
Brett
KC9MWG