[Xastir] No DBFAWK signature

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 4 22:57:27 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:53:26PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kc5goi at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I have tried both the 2008 and the 2009 and get the same error message.  No
> DBFAWK signature for "maps in my folder".
>
> I am running on Ubuntu 9.10 and the repository had 1.9.4 with DBFAWK listed
> in the libraries used under help.  From what I am finding the tools needed
> to create the signature files custom to the 2008 and 2009 tiger files is not
> present.  For example dbfinfo and testdbfawk are not present.  I made sure
> to run updatedb as sudo and search for them but no luck.

This is a problem with using binary packages from distributions.  They tend to
lag quite a bit.   1.9.4 was released in August 2008, while 1.9.6 (which
includes the signature files for the new TIGER data) was released only more
recently, in October 2009.

To get the most benefit from Xastir, you should really be running the CVS
version, which is kept up-to-date with new map sources and other important
changes.  Releases are infrequent, but CVS updates are not.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation