[Xastir] No DBFAWK signature

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:57:44 EST 2009

On 12/4/09, Guy Story KC5GOI <kc5goi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried both the 2008 and the 2009 and get the same error message.  No
> DBFAWK signature for "maps in my folder".
>
> I am running on Ubuntu 9.10 and the repository had 1.9.4 with DBFAWK listed
> in the libraries used under help.  From what I am finding the tools needed
> to create the signature files custom to the 2008 and 2009 tiger files is not
> present.  For example dbfinfo and testdbfawk are not present.  I made sure
> to run updatedb as sudo and search for them but no luck.
>
> My maps display but are missing the street names and colors that are present
> when I use the online tiger maps.  I have enable map labels checked.  Is
> this a deficiency in the installation on the Ubuntu repository or am I
> missing something?

I'm fairly sure the version of Xastir that is in the Ubuntu
repositories is too old to have the dbfawk files that were added last
summer.  (It appears that the binary package for Ubuntu 9.10 has not
changed since the one that was made available for 9.04).  The
easiest/fastest way forward would be to download the Xastir 1.96
tarball at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xastir/files/, extract it,
and copy the included dbfawk files to your current installation.  That
way you won't have to compile Xastir from source.

Of course, compiling from source is another option and provides more
new features and fixes, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX