[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 18 11:54:21 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Ray Wells wrote:

> The OSE version is crippled but the package version from the VB website is
> not. You need to install Guest Additions and USB works fine. I use both
> memory stick and two USB printers.

I'm finally learning Linux tricks from my kids (bound to happen at
some point):  My eldest son trying to get USB support going in
VirtualBox and ended up downloading the non-open-source version from
their site to get it working.  The open-source version does not have
USB support.  Both versions are free for download from their site.

I don't know what their structure is as to when/why/how they release
various bits of it as OSS.  As long as they support OSS as well, if
I sometimes need their non-OSS version to make something work,
that's ok.  They'll most likely release each piece to OSS later
unless they're under a restrictive license for USB libraries or
some-such.

The only bootable Windows machine we have in the place now is an old
laptop, which is dual-boot and runs Linux 99.9% of the time.  The
Windows stuff my kids do is mostly gaming/programming and they use
VirtualBox for all of that.