[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 18 12:03:11 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 08:54:21AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Ray Wells wrote:
>
> > The OSE version is crippled but the package version from the VB website is
> > not. You need to install Guest Additions and USB works fine. I use both
> > memory stick and two USB printers.
>
> I'm finally learning Linux tricks from my kids (bound to happen at
> some point):  My eldest son trying to get USB support going in
> VirtualBox and ended up downloading the non-open-source version from
> their site to get it working.  The open-source version does not have
> USB support.  Both versions are free for download from their site.
>
> I don't know what their structure is as to when/why/how they release
> various bits of it as OSS.  As long as they support OSS as well, if
> I sometimes need their non-OSS version to make something work,
> that's ok.  They'll most likely release each piece to OSS later
> unless they're under a restrictive license for USB libraries or
> some-such.

They have non-open source binary versions for a few platforms, but the
open-source version runs on more than that small collection.  For example, the
OSE has been ported to BSD (which is why I'm using it and not the PUEL version).
The missing USB support is unimportant to me in most of the applications I've
had for it so far, and I've been quite happy with VirtualBox.  I've also
been very happy with VMWare Workstation on my laptop.

At any rate, it is said that VirtualBox can run the same Linux VMs that
VMWare can run because it supports the vmdk virtual disk format.  I have not
yet tried it, but plan to check if the Xastir-Hardy VM works unmodified
(except, perhaps, for adding GuestAdditions).

I know that it doesn't work to move a WINDOWS virtual machine from VMware to
VirtualBox without taking strange steps first --- that's because it's not
possible to take a HARDWARE Losedows disk and move it from one machine to
another, either --- something about hanging IDE drivers when it detects the
machine is changed or something like that.  The number of steps required to
make it work is pretty big and not guaranteed to work, either --- and if
it doesn't you have to boot in safe mode, "repair" the windows install with an
install disk and re-install all the service packs and patches.  Forget *that*.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation