[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 18 12:16:03 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Tom Russo wrote:

> At any rate, it is said that VirtualBox can run the same Linux VMs that
> VMWare can run because it supports the vmdk virtual disk format.  I have not
> yet tried it, but plan to check if the Xastir-Hardy VM works unmodified
> (except, perhaps, for adding GuestAdditions).
>
> I know that it doesn't work to move a WINDOWS virtual machine from VMware to
> VirtualBox without taking strange steps first --- that's because it's not
> possible to take a HARDWARE Losedows disk and move it from one machine to
> another, either --- something about hanging IDE drivers when it detects the
> machine is changed or something like that.

I've done this sort of thing multiple times in the last several
months while swapping out motherboards in several gaming/programming
systems:  Running Linux though.

Once you know the tricks it's relatively easy to swap out the whole
machine from under Linux and still maintain a working system without
having to reinstall from scratch.  I've heard that this procedure is
darned-near impossible with Windows but haven't directly tried it.
No reason to.