[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 18 17:32:09 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 04:23:25PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <duffy at wb8nut.com> flavor, containing:

> There is no real wrong virtualization technology if it works for you.
> But if the group is going to support something,

Let's just be clear about something.

"The group" doesn't support anything here except the Xastir code base.
*Individuals* choose to contribute to the community with binary builds that
support particular platforms they like.  The code developers in general do
NOT support binary builds at all.

So in this case, any build that any individual cares to maintain is fair game,
be it a VMware virtual machine, Virtual Box, debian repos, RPMS, LSB or
whatever.  To date, a couple of people have taken the trouble to build VMware
virtual machines and keep them somewhat up-do-date.  But maintainers come and
go for this sort of thing, they stagnate and lag years behind the code base,
and that's a fact of life.

The fact that maintaining a binary build is even more of a thankless task than
maintaining source code does make it hard to keep such community supporters
interested, but there you have it.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation