[Xastir] On to the next question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 23 11:43:03 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 01:41:20PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> --- On Tue, 12/22/09, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > > It's just a manual process if there's no script
> > handy.? You just
> > > go out and get the proper TIGER/Line shapefiles for
> > the streets in
> > > the areas of interest and also collect your topo maps
> > in some
> > > appropriate format (GeoTIFF being ideal but it needs
> > to be
> > > reworked according to the readme with Xastir).
> >
> > No.? For topos you want geoTIFF DRG files from the
> > USGS which have
> > NOT been reworked.
>
> That's what I said.  They have to be reworked locally according to the readme unless the readme is now out of date and incorrect.

No, you said GeoTIFFs needed to be reworked.   Curt was clarifying that
the best topos are USGS GeoTIFFs that have NOT been --- and do not need to be
--- reworked.

USGS topos do NOT need to be reworked.  Only non-USGS GeoTIFFs that have either
been prepared improperly (no coordinate system tags) or which are in
oddball projections, or which are not 8-bit color need to be reworked.

The README.MAPS says just that --- all of its descriptions of reworking
GeoTIFFs are explicitly for non-USGS sources of GeoTIFF maps.  Are you saying
you're in an area where USGS does not publish the GeoTIFFs? (i.e. California,
or areas where the Tennessee Valley Authority has jurisdiction)

For the record, README.MAPS has the following sections:

    GeoTIFF files in certain projections need special processing:
    Defective GeoTIFF files need even more special processing:
    XASTIR can only use GeoTIFF files that are 8-bit per pixel with one band

USGS topos, obtained from USGS or its data partners, fall outside these three
"reworking" categories.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation