[Xastir] On to the next question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 23 12:05:44 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 08:54:51AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> My copy of the Readme (again, I did say it was a couple revs out of date) didn't seem to mention not having to rework GeoTIFFs from USGS.  The only thing I saw was a mention of downloading the GeoTIFFs and reprocessing them locally.  So if that's wrong then I need a new readme which says otherwise.  It might also be that I have a corrupted readme that is missing a section. It wouldn't be the first time I find a section of a file missing.  I'll have to look at it when I return to my computer after vacation.

The current rev says:

    GeoTIFF Map files (requires GeoTIFF):

      If you compiled in geoTIFF support, you can use USGS DRG topographic
      maps. These are primarily useful to U.S. users. DRG topo maps can be
      found for free for most states, and can be purchased for others.

        http://www.bianifc.org/gis_gps/gps/drgfree.html
        http://www.gisdatadepot.com

      or try a google search with "free drg maps" as the search query.

      If you have no luck finding free DRG maps, go to
      http://www.geocomm.com/ and check out the "DRG Data Bundles"
      they have available.  You can purchase a DVD containing all the
      DRGs for an entire state in three scales, all of them usable in
      xastir, for a relatively low price.  Be warned, however, that
      parts of the US have DRGs that are produced by an agency other
      than the United States Geological Survey, and these DRGs are not
      necessarily in correct GeoTIFF format.  The areas covered by the
      Tennessee Valley Authority appear to be among those, as one
      xastir user discovered when purchasing a DVD of DRGs for North
      Carolina.  It is still possible to use these DRG files, but they
      need preprocessing.  See the section below entitled "Defective
      GeoTIFF files need even more special processing."

This has not changed in quite a long time.  The re-processing sections are
pointed to only for "defective" geotiff files and possibly those that aren't
from USGS.

Xastir's geotiff code was written primarily with USGS topos in mind, and that's
why those certainly work with no special effort.  All those sections of
README.MAPS were written after the fact as people started popping up with
GeoTIFFs that didn't work.

> And yes, I'm currently living in California the land of major annoyances.  I'm not going to bother getting fully set up in CA since I intend to leave the state when I can.

That is unfortunate.  The topos from California are not available directly
from USGS, and the ones that *are* sold by geocomm.com have been reprocessed
by the state into an equal-area projection that won't work with Xastir.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation