[Xastir] OSX, SignaLink, APRS & Xastir on IC-7000

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu Dec 31 15:48:50 EST 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> I've made the switch. My old KPC-2 died, terrible death, sad really! In any case out with the old and in with the new, in this case a SignaLink USB from Tigertronics.
>
> I've installed the internal jumpers, connected the radio port to the accessory socket as opposed to the data socket of my IC-7000, and attached the USB to both the SL and my Mac running OSX v10.6.2.
>
> Now how do I tell Xastir I'm using a SignaLink instead of a TNC? Are there preset scripts like for the TNC's? I don't see one specifically for the SignaLink.

My understanding is that you cannot use a SignaLink USB for packet on a Mac.  You need a program like "soundmodem" for Linux that will emulate a KISS TNC and connect to the SignaLink which is essentially just a dedicated USB soundcard.  I'm not aware of any on the Mac that will do packet protocols (cocoaModem is excellent for PSK31, RTTY, and the like).

The problem with soundmodem and MacOS X is that there is no OS dependent code in soundmodem to interface to Core Audio or some other Mac sound API like portaudio.  I've looked at writing the interface code, but haven't really had the time or dedication to do so.