[Xastir] mac version of xastir yielding error

C. Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Thu Feb 5 20:50:29 EST 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 19:43, Erich J. Ritzmann wrote:

> Leopard/10.5.6 on a PowerBook G4 12" 1Ghz, with 1.2 gig RAM.
>
> Any suggestions?

What version of XQuartz are you running (http://
xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki)? Do you have lesstif or some other
OpenMotif installed (I prefer lesstif as I've had fewer problems with
it)? See below for my variant of the directions for installation.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn

Installing Xastir on a Mac: (use in concert with the INSTALL doc file
which has more detail I don't wish to reproduce here)
	by Chip (N1MIE) n1mie at arrl.net

  1. Install a Motif package (openmotif or lesstif can be installed
via Fink) [I found openmotif caused problems on my system (odd menu
issues), so I removed and installed lesstif which worked great. You
may also need to try it both ways.]

  2. Ensure an entry similar to the below is in your '.bashrc' or
'.bash_profile' file:
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

*3. Install libproj (can be installed as 'proj' via Fink)
	Install/update libtiff (can be installed via Fink)
	Install libgeotiff
		download and uncompress file (http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/
geotiff.html)
		"./configure" or "./configure --prefix=/sw" (second places files
same place as Fink)
		"sudo make"
		"sudo make install"

*4. Install ShapeLib
		download and uncompress file (http://shapelib.maptools.org)
		"cc -c shpopen.c"
		"cc -c shptree.c"
		"cc -c dbfopen.c"
		"ar cru libshp.a shpopen.o shptree.o dbfopen.o"
		"sudo cp libshp.a /sw/lib"
		"sudo ranlib /sw/lib/libshp.a"
		"sudo mkdir /sw/include/libshp"
		"sudo cp shapefil.h /sw/include/libshp/"

*5. Install ImageMagick (can be installed via Fink) [I had problems
when I used a pre-6.2 version]
	or install GraphicsMagick (download from site and follow Mac OS X
instructions found in PLATFORM.txt) -- there is a mistake in this
file it says to issue a command "ln -s sw /sw" but it should read "ln
-s /sw sw", the make will not work until this link is made

*6. Install wget or curl (normally already present on OS X Macs)

*7. Install gpsman and gpsmanshp (I haven't tried this) [Not
available via Fink]

*8. Install Festival (I haven't tried this)

*9. Install GDAL (can be installed via Fink, must be done manually on
Intel Macs unless you enable Fink unstable tree)
		download and uncompress file (http://remotesensing.org/gdal/)
		"./configure --prefix=/sw --with-local=/sw/lib --with-gif=internal
--with-jpeg=internal" (may need to modify if you don't use Fink)
		"sudo make"
		"sudo make install"

*10. Install Berkeley DataBase (can be installed via Fink)

  11. Build Xastir (commands need to be executed from within
directory where Xastir source resides)
  		"./bootstrap.sh"
  		"./configure --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/
include/db4"
  			or "./configure --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/
include/db4 --prefix=/sw" (latter for use with Fink)
  			You can type "./configure --help" to get a list of all options.
Two other good options are "--with-rtree" and "--with-profiling".

* Optional installs