[Xastir] Samba Peculiarity

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Feb 11 11:32:59 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:01:21AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n7xy at clearwire.net> flavor, containing:
> FWIW, if you want to share a printer connected to your Linux box, it
> is no longer necessary to use samba.  Apple has a neat free (as in
> speech as well as beer) application called Bonjour which will
> discover and communicate with a CUPS server, no configuration
> required.  It is built into OS X, but they also have a Windows
> version <http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/bonjour.html>.  I
> installed it on a Vista computer and was printing 30 seconds later.

Niiiiiice.  I've got samba running at home for no other reason than to share
printers to the single old Losedows machine, and on the laptop solely to allow
the windows virtual machine to use the printers on the linux host.  Assuming
bonjour works on Losedows 2K, I'd much rather pitch Samba (which is an
enormous pain in the butt to install, configure, and maintain).

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation