[Xastir] Samba Peculiarity

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 14:00:13 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 2/11/09, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> From: Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Samba Peculiarity
> To: "Xastir - APRS client software discussion" <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
> Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:01:21AM -0800, we recorded a
> bogon-computron collision of the <n7xy at clearwire.net>
> flavor, containing:
> > FWIW, if you want to share a printer connected to your
> Linux box, it
> > is no longer necessary to use samba.  Apple has a neat
> free (as in
> > speech as well as beer) application called Bonjour
> which will
> > discover and communicate with a CUPS server, no
> configuration
> > required.  It is built into OS X, but they also have a
> Windows
> > version
> <http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/bonjour.html>.
> > installed it on a Vista computer and was printing 30
> seconds later.
>
> Niiiiiice.  I've got samba running at home for no other
> reason than to share
> printers to the single old Losedows machine, and on the
> laptop solely to allow
> the windows virtual machine to use the printers on the
> linux host.  Assuming
> bonjour works on Losedows 2K, I'd much rather pitch
> Samba (which is an
> enormous pain in the butt to install, configure, and
> maintain).

I've never had any difficulty with Samba on Linux to share my printer to all the Windows machines so I'm a bit surprised.  I don't use CUPS on the Linux machine, though, I just have Samba pass the raw printer instructions straight through.  In fact I have a hard time removing CUPS from the system because the package manager constantly fights with me.

However, I don't see how the OS X program is going to help a Linux machine unless Bonjour is entirely command line or kernel level.