[Xastir] Xastir-Hardy: logging into the VM?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Feb 21 13:15:13 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 08:56:15PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Alex Carver <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- On Thu, 2/19/09, Lee Bengston wrote:
> >

> >> Sounds interesting, but how would one adjust the screen
> >> resolution so
> >> that the VM would be the right size for the monitor that is
> >> being
> >> used?  I assume there would still be a way to get to a
> >> command line to
> >> run the VMware tools script - not exactly a newbie friendly
> >> procedure,
> >> but that's the only way I have been able to permanently
> >> adjust the
> >> screen size.
> >
> > When I tried it with the latest VMWare player, Xastir filled whatever screen I resized the VM container to be.
>
> It's resizing the VM container that I was asking about.  Even with
> VMWare tools installed, when I played the VM, I had to run the VMware
> tools config script to change the Linux screen resolution.  I was also
> able to change it in the window manager, but doing it that way only
> lasted until the next re-start of the VM.  Maybe there is another easy
> way to resize the VM container that I have been missing.

The latest VMware tools and vmware player behave as Alex described, resizing
the guest with the window.  Older versions of the tools didn't do this well.

Can't explain why you're still seeing that behavior if you're using new versions
of both.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation