[Xastir] NMEA GPS data duplication

Eric K Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Wed Jul 1 16:31:57 EDT 2009

I had a similar problem when I wanted to use a single GPS 18 puck for
both an NTP time reference (needs read/write to the GPS) and gpsd
(solely for curiosity).

After thinking thru a lot of things, my son (13) said, "why don't you
solder another connector on there?"

So, I soldered a another connector on the GPS cable (only the RD and SG)
and plugged that in to a second serial port.  Port one is used by ntpd
to discipline the clock, port 2 (read only) is used by ntpd (where I use
xgps) to monitor the constellation.

5 years to get a BSEE, 2 years for an MS and I was outsmarted by a 13
y/o.  Needless to say, he's working on his ticket ...

EKG

Lee R. Burton wrote:
> Does Xastir provide GPS data to gpsd.. I know it can use data _from_ gpsd.. but I am talking about GPS data coming off a GPS attached directly to the TNC..?
> How does one go about configuring gpsd to recieve data from xastir?
> Thanks,
> Lee Burton
> lburton at mrow.org
> 301 910 0246

Eric K Germann
ekgermann (at) cctec (dot) com
419 605 4026

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ericgermann

PGP/GPG Fingerprint: B047 5EFD 3851 6D79 A851  709B 07FC 9F13 7496 9066

"Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and
 his own dying." -- Martin Luther