[Xastir] Igate Wiki?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jul 7 12:15:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:52:54AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kd5mkv at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Sorry, Some sort of email error. My question is I am looking for a wiki  for aprsd,aprsdigi or a program I can use with Xastir. I am using ubuntu 9.04, on a amd64 cpu, and a tnc-x kiss Tnc. I have intermittent Igating in my area. steve kd5mkv

No idea about a wiki devoted to the task, but if you're serious about having a
non-intermittent igate in your area you should look into javAPRSSrvr
with the IGate adjunct.  You can share your KISS TNC between Xastir and
JavAPRSSrvr using kernel AX.25 networking.  I have set it up for prezactly the
same reason and in the same way.   Our best-sited local igate developed
network problems about 2 years ago, and ultimately died with no sign of
resurrection in sight, and the IGates that pop up now and then running UI-View
or APRS+SA are only intermittent, so I wanted at least one full-time igate
running proper igate software in the area 24/7, despite the limitations of my
site.

http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSSrvr/  has the details and contact information.

javAPRSSrvr is better at doing full-service igating than Xastir is.  Xastir is
OK as far as it goes, but I have had a little trouble with it in the last year
or so, as it suddenly stopped gating weather alerts even though instructed to
do so by the nws-stations.txt file.  I switched over to javAPRSSrvr for
igating a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it, and can still use
Xastir for its strong suit.

You need to contact Pete Loveall directly to get javAPRSSrvr, as it's not open
source (but is free for ham use).  The support for it is through a Yahoo group
that is low-volume but very helpful. It was a breeze to set up and works
flawlessly as far as I can tell in several weeks of using it.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation