[Xastir] Last Minute iGate setup

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 16 14:23:27 EDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> in the car I would like to iGate it into the system. Can someone walk me
> through the Xastir setup to do this? I think all I have to do is;
> 1) Turn on    Allow RF-->iNet and iNet -->RF Traffic

In File->Configure->Defaults, which is the master setting, yes.  You
actually only need the first one turned on for a balloon unless you
can do 2-way messaging to devices attached to the balloon, or unless
people involved in the chase wish to do messaging outside their area
to others during the chase.

Also turn on similar igating options on the internet interface you
talk about next:

> 2) Turn on the appropriate interface control, one for Internet one for my
> D700

Yes.  Also turn on transmit enable for the RF interface if you wish
to do 2-way igating.

The D700/D710 have the broken KISS interface, the D700 more broken
than the other.  You might want to leave it in normal serial packet
mode, in that case you want to select the tnc-startup.d700 and
tnc-stop.d700 files for the RF interface startup/shutdown files.
That should set up the D700 properly assuming it's in the correct
mode to begin with (packet/APRS?).

> 3) I'll turn on iGate logging and TNC logging and NET logging

I'd skip the NET logging.  You'll be logging lots of internet
traffic that doesn't have anything to do with the chase.  Of course
you could also leave it on and set a filter for the internet server
that only does messaging or only pulls packets for a short distance
around your location (50 or 100 miles?).