[Xastir] Weather Alerts

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Fri Jul 17 23:08:20 EDT 2009

I hate to be so thick-skulled, but I am having no luck with Weather
Alerts.  I tried to follow the wiki before bothering the list.  This
link:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Xastir

mentions under the heading "Enabling Weather Alerts" to see the
README.MAPS link for installing NOAA shapefile maps.  Following that
link gives no installation instructions for Weather Alerts.  Could
someone please fix this.

However, I did find, after doing a search for weather in the wiki, a
reference to the Xastir Maps page.  Under the heading "Where to Get
Maps for Xastir", I see that one uses the ./get-NWSdata (after cd'ing
to the /usr/local/lib/xastir sub'dir).  When I execute that script,
it says I already have the shapefiles.

I verified that both shapelib and pcre were in the configure script
log file when I configured and built xastir.  Not sure I could find
it in my make script log file.  I did see a comment near the
map_shp.c part of the compile log.

So, what could I be doing wrong for no weather alerts to be
displayed?  We had some severe weather a couple of weeks ago as
viewed on the WunderMap radar URL.  I saw two kinds of alerts:
flooding and high winds (green polygon and yellow polygon), but
nothing visible in xastir.

Also, I see no radar.  It makes no difference which of the three
weather radar maps I choose: US, TX or WMS.  Again, very frustrating.

How do I go about troubleshooting this mess?

73 - Dale.  KG5LT