[Xastir] Weather Alerts

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jul 18 02:00:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Xastir
>
> mentions under the heading "Enabling Weather Alerts" to see the README.MAPS
> link for installing NOAA shapefile maps.  Following that link gives no
> installation instructions for Weather Alerts.  Could someone please fix this.

It probably talks about "NWS" files instead of "weather alerts" in
README.MAPS.  Somebody should probably make things consistent either
in the Wiki or in README.MAPS.

> I see that one uses the ./get-NWSdata (after cd'ing to the
> /usr/local/lib/xastir sub'dir).  When I execute that script, it says I
> already have the shapefiles.

So you're good there.  As good as anyone else anyway.  We
periodically have to tweak that script to download the latest-latest
from NWS.

> So, what could I be doing wrong for no weather alerts to be displayed?  We
> had some severe weather a couple of weeks ago as viewed on the WunderMap
> radar URL.  I saw two kinds of alerts: flooding and high winds (green polygon
> and yellow polygon), but nothing visible in xastir.

   http://www.aprs-is.net/wx/

It doesn't look like wxsvr.net is online.  That would explain the
missing weather alerts.  It's a single-point-of-failure for the
whole APRS weather alert system, but we are grateful to Dale for
having written/maintained it to date.  He's mentioned several times
that he wished somebody to write a parallel version of it for
redundancy.

> Also, I see no radar.  It makes no difference which of the three weather
> radar maps I choose: US, TX or WMS.  Again, very frustrating.

This may be a problem for Gerry Creager to sort out.  Every once in
a while he needs to kick some process around a bit until it behaves.