[Xastir] Weather Alerts: WXSVR down. Replacement Server.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 28 18:27:41 EDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Tony Hunt wrote:

> Curt,  Thats interesting.. We have a server here in VK called WXSVR-AU  .. I
> wonder if they will follow the same changes on that server?? If not then will
> future versions of Xastir work on the old formats still??

That's what I'd like to do.  The tweak in format is very minor,
having to do with "compressed" zones in "NWS-*" messages instead of
only in "NWS_*" messages.  Before we keyed off the '-' and '_'
difference to decide how to decode them.

What I did for now was to throw ALL such packets through the
compressed zone decoding which was an easy change but is not
backwards compatible.

For the future I'd like to key off of finding compressed zones in
the data and then selectively throw them through the compressed
decoding.  That'll take longer to figure out and test and I wanted
to have alerts working NOW!

Give me a few days or weeks and I'll have that last bit implemented.
Unless somebody wants to beat me to it...  Anyone?

If you have a problem displaying WXSVR_AU packets with the new code,
let me know.  I'll put this project higher on my TODO list.