[Xastir] Weather Alerts: WXSVR down. Replacement Server.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 28 20:22:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, w2lie wrote:

> Is this the same wx server that sends data to all aprs software?

Yes.

UI-View ended up accepting the change in format just fine so it's
already displaying alerts again.  As I understand it they're only
sending out the immediate alerts right now, so it's not the same
length and breadth of alerts we had before.  That may change over
time.  The "finger" capability is not there either, where you
double-click on an alert and get the full text.

> I was wondering if this was the same server, would other APRS clients still
> work after the change, or should I be pushing our local aprs community to
> move to Xastir to continue to get the wx info. (I have been showing Xastir to
> all who will look.)

Just a personal observation:  You probably won't make much ground
with Windows people and Xastir.  There have been a few that switched
to Linux because of Xastir and then learned the OS.  More seem to
like UI-View and stick with it even though there's hasn't been any
progress on it in years (and can never be).