[Xastir] Import/Generate Custom Lines?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 3 00:05:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:31:29PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mjb8h at virginia.edu> flavor, containing:
> Please forgive me if this question has come up before; I just
> subscribed to this list-serv.  A quick search of the archives did not
> turn anything up.
>
> I have a list of lat/lon values that constitute a bike route (in KML
> format, but I can pull out the coordinates if needed).  I would like
> to find a way to turn these values into a format that Xastir
> recognizes so that I can display them on top of the tiger maps I am
> currently using.  Is this possible, and if so, where would I look for
> information on how to do this?

This just came up in the last week or two, when a subscriber was trying to
do much the same thing.

There are multiple options.  Here's a couple:

- Create a list of APRS object-syntax lines for the points in your bike route
   (Keith K prefers this method)
- Use a tool to convert the KML to a shapefile (ogr2ogr from the GDAL suite
   can do this, as can GPSBabel) and then create a DBFAWK file to tell Xastir
   how to render it.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation