[Xastir] UI-View type Plug-ins?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Jun 3 23:39:19 EDT 2009

Phil - w2lie wrote:
> I've been playing with Xastir on my laptop which has Suse installed in
> it, and I'm enjoying myself..  I'm thinking of swapping my UI-View
> APRS Station for a Xastir APRS on the home pc.
> The home PC is running WinXp, but I wanted to put a 2nd pc online with
> Linux since I am running a lot on this windows box..
>
> My UI-View setup is running Info Kiosk, as well as the local
> webserver.   I also use the windows Scheduler to create APRS objects
> during certain hours of the day, for set days of the week.
> I guess my questions are:
> 1- Can I us CRON to place objects on my map (for broadcast), and what
> script would I run for that?? I didn't see any pearl scripts.
> 2- Is there a Webserver for Xastir like the UI-VIEW Webserver? I know
> Xastir can take screenshots.. but I'm looking for a stations heard
> type of listing..
> 3- Is there an "Info KIOSK" type of application that will run with
> Xastir?  I have one setup here with local club information and new
> user type of help.
>
> I am not a coder, and don't understand a line of pearl.  I am also
> fairly new to Linux still..
> Any help would be appreciated.
> 73
> Phil / w2lie

Phil,

I can answer question 1 for you. I use a cron entry to run a script
(actually an ugly combination of perl and shells scripts - sigh. I'll
fix that one day) that gets weather from a local automatic weather
station via the inet, processes that data, and then sends it to the
server port (2023) in xastir. It is then uploaded to inet by xastir.
You'll find info on the server port in the xastir docs.

Here's the line (line wrapped) that uploads to xastir. ALDAVILLA is the
name of the weather object. I'm sure you'll get the idea.

/usr/local/bin/xastir_udp_client localhost 2023 vk2wet-1 21162 -to-inet
"ALDAVILLA>APRS:=3104.20S/15246.20E_247/005g006t056r000p000P000h95b10207"

Ray vk2tv