[Xastir] Small linux computers in a wall-wart sized package?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jun 11 13:24:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 08:29:15AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Dan Zubey wrote:
>
> > I keep forgetting to ask, but this just reminded me...has anyone gotten
> > Xastir to compile on the ARM architecture?
> >
>   That's a moot point.  The sheevaplug has no display or console, so it's
> not appropriate for an end-user client application.  Better suited for a
> headless server app, like a digi or igate.

While you're right about the sheeva not being the appropriate platform for
running Xastir, check this out:

http://www.swcp.com/~russo/imgs/sheeva.jpg

That's my brand new SheevaPlug (received Monday) running Xastir with all
optional libraries except festival and gdal, being viewed over the intarwebz
via VNC.  The desktop is the ICE window manager.

At the moment it's only running with data from an internet server and viewing
online TIGER maps and WMS radar (hey, I *just*this*second* got it running).

I intend to experiment with AX25 networking Real Soon Now --- built a new
kernel for the Sheeva with AX.25 support yesterday, and when I have the time
will try to hook my KISS TNC to it and get it running that way.

While running Xastir this way is cute, ultimately I'm planning on using the
plug mostly as a central TNC server using AX.25 networking and a
currently-unreleased piece of code called "ldsped" that is a Linux daemon that
talks AX.25 networking and the AGWPE protocol (currently in beta, the author
provided me with an x86 binary and says he expects to release source in July
or August, at which time I plan to try it on the Sheeva).

Another cool application for the sheeva would be to run a web server with
mapserver.  Then we could have a network of Xastir laptops all pulling maps
off of the plug using WMS and sharing a single TNC.  That would be pretty
killer.

Oh, and about the no-display-or-console deal, check this out:
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=379.0

Guy's got a USB monitor plugged into his SheevaPlug, running X.  This could
be a way-cool application to use that way.  The monitor required a special
X driver, but he provides links for how to get and install it.

Geek-o-meter starting to drift into red zone...

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation