[Xastir] Soundmodem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 17 20:11:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Peter Gamache/KC0TFB wrote:

> Rather than run as root, which allows Xastir to stomp all over your system
> if it misbehaves, perhaps it would be safer to chown the needed /dev/foo
> devices to the user that's running Xastir?
>
> Just $0.02 from a network security engineer...

If you're dealing with a serial port or a simulated serial port,
yea.

If you're dealing with Soundmodem as an AX.25 port, or any other
type of AX.25 port, then you need root access to do anything with
it.

Xastir drops privileges when it's not opening/closing a port, so
it's fairly safe to run it SUID root for those cases where you need
it.  Much better than logging in as root and running it that way...

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer