[Xastir] Soundmodem on OSX

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 11:04:06 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Technically Xastir doesn't run on Mac's either but it does run in X11 which
> in the case of the Mac is running on BSD Unix. Or maybe I misunderstand the
> relationship of one to the other something that is not unlikely.
> Anyway I was thinking soundmodem would run there as opposed to actually
> running on OSX.

OS X _is_ BSD unix.  It's not some sort of emulation mode.

xastir _does_ run (directly, natively) on OS X, just like it does on other
BSD unices.

X11 is a windowing graphics system.  It is not the native graphics for OS X
applications, but it is an OS X subsystem.  This was rather typical years
ago, as workstation manufacturers (Sun, SGI, etc) had their native graphics
mode with good performance, but also had X11 for portability. The X11 server
must be running for xastir to have some display support.

soundmodem uses the linux kernel; OS X runs the BSD kernel.  They have
different sound system interfaces. This is why soundmodem doesn't work on OS
X.

-Jason
kg4wsv