[Xastir] Soundmodem on OSX

Dana Rawding n1ofz at arrl.net
Sun Jun 21 10:11:52 EDT 2009

To Curt's comment,

There  in lies exactly the issue.  The one thing you can't do on OS X
is recompile the kernel.  Therefore we will never see native AX.25 on
OS X.  However as Curt pointed out it could be possible to create some
kind of KISS TNC emulator.  However I think that's going the wrong
way.  It would be more advantageous and forward looking to add
something like Jack support to Xastir.

I currently run a Software Defined Radio on OS X with Jack and John
Melton's Java GUI with no problem.  If down the road Xastir was able
to get sound input/output from Jack it would be completely possible to
do all sorts of soundmodem stuff with OS X or for that matter pretty
much any platform.  As SDR's get more popular and common in the future
I think our wonderful developers will add Jack support.  All it takes
is one or two of them to get interested in the project and I bet we
would see code in a matter of days ;-)

Dana
N1OFZ