[Xastir] APRS GATE

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 22 17:56:33 EDT 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, George Karayannis wrote:

> I am operating a local aprs gate for the club, using unfortunately still
> uiview+agwpe
>
> so my question is, can one duplicate the setup with xastir+soundmodem (I
> am guessing the answer is yes hihi) and is there a howto? The latter
> should be rather detailed, as this will be my first attempt at gating
> using linux

Depending on what you're doing with your current igating, Xastir may
or may not be able to do the same thing.  There are other packages
that run on Linux that might work better for you if you're doing
things Xastir can't.  Aprsd, Aprsr, JavaAprsSvr come to mind, along
with Digi_NED (that last is not an igate, but it's an excellent
smart digipeater).

I don't think there's a HOWTO on this subject in our Wiki but it
wouldn't be difficult to start one.  It would refer to the AX.25
and/or Soundmodem Wiki pages mostly, with just a bit more setup
gleaned from the README files distributed with Xastir.

If you'd care to start down this path and ask questions as you
go/write down your notes, we could get a Wiki page in shape fairly
quickly for it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer