[Xastir] APRS GATE

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 23 09:50:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:10:28PM +0300, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <m3rl1n at otenet.gr> flavor, containing:
> Hi Curt and thanks for the reply
>
> the gate as it is now does RF-net traffic and vice versa
>
> using a winXP PC and UIview32 + AGWPE keying a D710.
>
> I have configured the agwpe to accept any connection on port 8000,
> unproto 1, in fact you can view the traffic by activating a networked
> agw device in xastir, using sv4lax.dyndns.org:8000 or no-ip:8000.

> If I could do that with Xastir+soundmodem and rid meself of win I would
> be delighted heHE

I would use soundmodem+javAPRSIGate+ldsped for this.

javAPRSIGate is a better choice than Xastir for a full IGate.  Xastir has some
igating code, but is not really designed to serve that function.

ldsped is still in beta, but it is intended as a replacement for agwpe's server.
It doesn't incorporate the soundcard TNC part, so you still need soundmodem
for that.  ldsped's author is willing to give out x86 binaries for beta testing,
you can read about it at http://www.on7lds.net/ldsped/index.html

So what I'd do if I were you would be to set up soundmodem, connect it to
an AX.25 network interface as a KISS TNC, then use javAPRSSvr as the igate
software.  You could run ldsped connected to the same AX.25 interface to
create the port 8000 that you can use to view the traffic with Xastir from
another machine, or if you just want to view the traffic on the same machine,
Xastir could connect directly to the AX.25 port without ldsped.

You can definitely accomplish what you want with Linux and appropriate
combinations of software.  Set-up will not be as simple as AGWPE, but once
you get all the pieces running you'll have a solid system.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation