[Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 howto now on Xastir wiki

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 12:04:42 EDT 2009

On 6/24/09, Kevin Ratcliff <kevin at kevinratcliff.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:08 AM, David <djmunn at bigpond.com> wrote:
>> Hi Kevin.....very good How -to....however you have missed the Geotiff libs
>> these libs in Ubuntu 9.04 repositories dont work too well...
>
> Thanks David. I guess I assumed that since the geotiff-dev package was
> available in the repository and Xastir found it with configure that it
> would work properly in 9.04. Bad assumption on my part. I will correct
> the wiki entry later today, unless someone else beats me to it.

I didn't see grabbing the geotiff binaries from the respo's mentioned
in the new HowTo - maybe I missed it.  If the binaries are installed,
they will work if Xastir is configured using an additional command
line option as follows:

  configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff

Just my opinion, but I think the best way to install geotiff is to
edit the get-maptools.sh script so that it only grabs the geotiff
source code, then run it to install.

Change the portion below in the script

 ALL="   http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pcre/pcre-6.3.tar.gz
       http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/shapelib-1.2.10.tar.gz\
       http://dl.maptools.org/dl/proj/proj-4.4.9.tar.gz\
       http://dl.maptools.org/dl/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.2.3.tar.gz\
       http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gdal/gdal-1.3.2.tar.gz"

 ALL=" http://dl.maptools.org/dl/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.2.3.tar.gz"

Then do the "ugly hack" to the script - deleting the comment
characters in the lines specified.

I have wiki editing rights, so I can add that as an alternative.

> With regard to ImageMagick, I did notice that libmagick9-dev didn't
> work in 9.04. I thought I found somewhere that the replacement was
> called libmagickcore-dev, and that's what I put in the wiki and it
> seemed to work for me. Maybe libmagickwand-dev works too, I'll have to
> research that one and find out which is better to use (unless someone
> else knows).

I've already run through installing from CVS on 9.04 a few times, and
libmagickcore-dev is the right package to install replacing
libmagick9-dev from earlier versions.

I've also found that xorg-dev is no longer needed.  Installing
libxp-dev and libmagickcore-dev will install a host of x11-xxxx
dependencies that are also installed when xorg-dev is installed, and
it appears that those dependencies are what Xastir needs as opposed to
xorg-dev itself.

Good work - been meaning to update the wiki myself, but it's that time
thing again.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX