[Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 howto now on Xastir wiki

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Wed Jun 24 13:05:08 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Lee Bengston<lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't see grabbing the geotiff binaries from the respo's mentioned
> in the new HowTo - maybe I missed it.

Good catch, it isn't listed in the new 9.04 howto. I certainly
intended to put it there! The package name for the binaries seems to
be 'libgeotiff-dev', which will also install 'libgeotiff1.2' as a
dependency.

> If the binaries are installed,
> they will work if Xastir is configured using an additional command
> line option as follows:
>
>  configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff

I did put that command in the howto. If the binary install does work
properly that's my preference, but it doesn't hurt to list alternate
methods too.

> Just my opinion, but I think the best way to install geotiff is to
> edit the get-maptools.sh script so that it only grabs the geotiff
> source code, then run it to install.

That works too.

> I have wiki editing rights, so I can add that as an alternative.

Go for it!.

>> With regard to ImageMagick, I did notice that libmagick9-dev didn't
>> work in 9.04. I thought I found somewhere that the replacement was
>> called libmagickcore-dev, and that's what I put in the wiki and it
>> seemed to work for me. Maybe libmagickwand-dev works too, I'll have to
>> research that one and find out which is better to use (unless someone
>> else knows).
>
> I've already run through installing from CVS on 9.04 a few times, and
> libmagickcore-dev is the right package to install replacing
> libmagick9-dev from earlier versions.

Cool, thanks.

> I've also found that xorg-dev is no longer needed.  Installing
> libxp-dev and libmagickcore-dev will install a host of x11-xxxx
> dependencies that are also installed when xorg-dev is installed, and
> it appears that those dependencies are what Xastir needs as opposed to
> xorg-dev itself.

Good to know.

> Good work - been meaning to update the wiki myself, but it's that time
> thing again.

Thanks for creating the original Ubuntu CVS howtos, and thanks for
your suggestions on the 9.04 howto. Your documentation has saved me a
lot of headaches!

I will update the 9.04 howto after I run through another installation
from scratch with the changes you suggested. Fortunately for me I'm
working in a test virtual machine and made a snapshot of it after a
plain Ubuntu 9.04 install. Sure makes testing easier when I don't have
to reinstall the OS each time and can revert back at any point along
the way.

Kevin
KB9MQU