[Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 howto now on Xastir wiki

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jun 27 22:08:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 01:05:08PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kevin at kevinratcliff.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Lee Bengston<lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't see grabbing the geotiff binaries from the respo's mentioned
> > in the new HowTo - maybe I missed it.
>
> Good catch, it isn't listed in the new 9.04 howto. I certainly
> intended to put it there! The package name for the binaries seems to
> be 'libgeotiff-dev', which will also install 'libgeotiff1.2' as a
> dependency.
>
> >?If the binaries are installed,
> > they will work if Xastir is configured using an additional command
> > line option as follows:
> >
> > ?configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff
>
> I did put that command in the howto. If the binary install does work
> properly that's my preference, but it doesn't hurt to list alternate
> methods too.

The libgeotiff is fine, but unfortunately depends on proj.4 --- and the
proj.4 installation for Ubuntu (and all Debian distros) is compiled
incorrectly without NAD datum shift grids.  This can be a problem.

If you are using proj.4 for *anything* other than Xastir (which requires it
solely for libgeotiff, but doesn't use it for datum shifting), you need to
build proj.4 from sources and do so by unpacking the NAD datum shift grids
in the "nad" directory first.

Just a warning.  This doesn't impact Xastir directly, but does impact *anything*
else that uses proj.4 (QGIS, GRASS, or GDAL tools).  If you build proj.4 from
source, you also need to build libgeotiff from source -- otherwise the
package management system will install the broken one anyway.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation