[Xastir] problems with Xastir-Hardy VM and vmware tools?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:11:57 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I grabbed Xastir-Hardy_080729.zip, and ran the vmware-tools-config
> script in order to resize the display for a wide screen laptop.  It
> wanted to build kernel modules, I let it.  Now xastir keeps bombing on
> me.  Sorry, I don't have the error.  (bad user! no biscuit.)
>
> I'm currently building my VM (with my custom maps) again, but was
> wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

On Hardy in the summer of '08, I recall that out of the box, VMware
Tools wouldn't compile properly without modification using open vmware
tools as instructed at
http://peterc.org/2008/62-how-to-install-vmware-tools-on-ubuntu-hardy-804-under-vmware-fusion.html.
 Tom Russo used the above method to get VMware Tools from his VMware
Workstation to work in the Hardy virtual machine.  I also found the
same trick worked for the VMware tools that is included in the free
VMware Server and applied it to some other Debian based Linux
distributions that I was playing with at the time.  As new Linux
versions have been released since that time including Ubuntu Intrepid
Ibex, I have found that even the modification above doesn't completely
fix VMware tools - at least not the version of the tools that came
with what was the latest VMware Server when I was trying to get it to
work back in the Nov-Dec time frame.

So the short answer is that I have not had any problems with VMware
tools in the Hardy VM, but if your copy has undergone a kernel update,
then it may be experiencing the same or similar issue that I am seeing
with newer Linux distributions.  All of that said, I don't recall that
when VMware tools was having its problems that it ever affected
XASTIR, so I am scratching my head on that one.

By the way, at one time I was working on a new XASTIR-Intrepid based
VM, but I got frustrated with VMware tools and set it aside, which is
where it still is.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX