[Xastir] Local offline maps

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Tue Mar 10 08:53:18 EDT 2009

Background:  I am a newbie to xastir.  I have played with it a bit
from time to time, but my interest has been in the HamHUD as far as
APRS is concerned.

Local needs:  We are to have a SET in May in our county (Brown
county, Texas).  I would like to set up an xastir station at the
EOC.  One of the local ham club members is familiar with UI-View, but
he says the maps are really bad.  I like the tigermaps in xastir
because of the road detail and general clarity.  BUT, unless you have
a lot of cached views for the areas needed previously established, it
requires an internet connection.  For the SET we should have Internet
service, assuming we can get EOC permission (access codes).  But,
what about in a real emergency...?

Questions:	1) what is the best way to either cache views of a center
point with say a 25 to 50 mile radius and various zoom scales (1 in =
2mi, 1 in = 5 mi, etc.)?
			2) are there any good offline maps of a given area that have some
reasonable zoom ability?

Boiling these two down to the final question:
			3) what is the best approach to not having internet service, but
still have good maps?

73 - Dale.  KG5LT