[Xastir] Wiki permissions

ka7o at ka7o.net ka7o at ka7o.net
Thu Mar 12 15:11:50 EDT 2009

Something like this:

# Email authentication required for new users
$wgEnableEmail      = true;
$wgEnableUserEmail  = true;
$wgEmailAuthentication = true;
$wgEmailConfirmToEdit = true;

Dropped into LocalSettings.php can help a lot too. Nothing to install
either - "it just works".

With those setups only users with confirmed email addresses can edit.
Helps keep the 'drive bys' out.

I've got 2 mediawiki instances going now - one I expect to see more
traffic than the other. This spam prevention is critical.

I also use this extension (LocalSettings.php bit).

# Enable ConrimEdit Extionsion
# http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit
require_once( "$IP/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEdit.php" );

Any edit/newpage that has a URL going offsite, editor has to do some
'math' to get it online. Slows the bots down. (yea, some seem to have
figured out the email bit).

Between the two, I'm ::knock on wood:: holding on pretty well, at the
minute. Time will tell.

73