[Xastir] Running Xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Mar 12 23:39:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:11:47PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wa0tjt at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> This is what I get when I try to run Xastir.
>
> Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "/tmp/
> launch-oGaTEH/:0".
> Warning: Fatal Error:
> _XmGetDefaultDisplay cannot be used prior to VendorS.Initialize,
> returns NULL
> Error: Couldn't find per display information

Did you update xlib in any way?

A recent change to Xorg on Linux and BSD systems generated the extremely
annoying and completely harmless "Generic Event Extension missing" warnings.
It is a clash between a version of Xlib that looks for that extension and
an X server that doesn't have it --- but that warning means nothing and
has to be ignored.

The stuff after that is another matter.

> What did I do now to break my system?
>
> This is on Mac OS X trying to run Xastir v1.9.5 and I've had it
> running before I just wanted to switch from motif to lesstif.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation