[Xastir] readme.maps questions

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sat Mar 14 16:45:03 EDT 2009

More newbie questions concerning converting Tiger/Line data files
into Shapefiles for xastir's use.

I have read through most of the readme.maps documentation.  Overall,
very good, until I get to page 5.  What I am experiencing with the
next two paragraphs after the "To convert the polylines" heading is
that I don't see the files named "CompleteChain.*" after running the
ogr2ogr program per page 5's example.  What I am seeing are simply
copies of the original .dbf, .prj, .shp, .shp.xml and .shx files with
the original names and in some cases slightly varying file sizes.

I downloaded selected Texas county files from the ftp2.census.gov/geo/
tiger/TIGER2008/48_TEXAS/ server.  I get, for example, zipfiles like
"tl_2008_48049_arealm.zip".  I create a folder named after the county
and unzip that county's files into the folder.  Then, cd into the
folder and run the ogr2ogr program. with the output directory named
as "out".  But, no CompleteChain.* files appear in the "out" folder.

Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong?

I hope I've given enough info.  My email program is running on my
MacBook, and I am doing the work on my dual-boot Linux desktop, so
copying Linux output to email as examples, is not as easy as I'd
like.  I'll be glad to provide more as needed.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT