[Xastir] More Tiger maps questions

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Mon Mar 16 18:26:31 EDT 2009

Thanks for all of the help and advise with the Tiger/Line 2008 maps.

> Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Brian Webster wrote:
>
>> And if you have gone through the pains of the dbfHawk
>> file creation we might all benefit from it should we like the look
>> and feel
>> of your maps.
>
> Yes please.  Since nobody's done it yet, we'd all benefit from you
> donating the dbfawk's back to the project so that they could be
> distributed with Xastir itself.
>
> Don't worry about getting them 100% correct first either:  Just
> updating to the 2008 maps would be a major improvement, and we can
> worry about tweaking them here and there as time goes on to improve
> the look and feel.  Everything goes into CVS so it is a snap for any
> of the developers to update files at any time.
>
> It's also likely that some of the changes necessary to make them
> look like the online maps will require actual code changes and not
> just dbfawk tweaks.

OK.  Now, I'll need some guidance with submitting to CVS, or I can
zip them up and send to you, Curt, for inclusion into CVS.

> Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>>
>> 1. ?Where does one find a list of the color codes for the dbfawk
>> files?
>
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:DBFAWK

Great!  That beats trying every number until you get what you want  ;-)

>> 3. ?Anyone know which shapefile contains the background color
>> (looks like
>> light-grey) for the maps?
>
> None of them - it's on the map -> configure -> background color menu.

The first time I tried that, the background was already set for
White.  That tells me that the shapefiles override (somehow) the
default b/g color.  I then selected another b/g color , then went
back to White.  That's when the b/g color changed to White indeed.
Perhaps this is normal.  But, at least I now get White, and it seems
to stay that way between xastir sessions.

Finally,

 >Tom Hayward wrote:
 >Subject: Re: [Xastir]Screen shot sharing
 >
 >I'd just post it to something like http://tinypic.com/ and send the
link to the list.

So, here it is:  http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=31680vs&s=5

Curt, let me know about submitting the dbfawk files.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT