[Xastir] lightweight window manager/desktop for linux?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 25 12:50:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:45:57AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>
> > I've got a DC powered 800MHz box I want to use as a mobile xastir
> > platform.  Any suggestions/pointers/RTFMs for a lightweight window
> > manager for such an underpowered rig?  I'll probably be running CentOS
> > (that's what I use at work) unless someone convinces me I should try
> > something different.
>
> My laptop has less power than that.  I run FVWM2.

I second that.

I also use FVWM2 on most of my machines.  Only my Ubuntu laptop uses anything
else.  FVWM2 is simple and lightweight.  Just install the basic X11 and XDM
so you can log in, and run fvwm2 in your .xsession script.

It can take a bit of configuring to get it how you like it, but it will run
fine on an 800MHz machine.  I used to run it on my old Dell laptop (slower than
800MHz IIRC).

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation