[Xastir] lightweight window manager/desktop for linux?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:44:29 EDT 2009

On 3/25/09, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>
>> I've got a DC powered 800MHz box I want to use as a mobile xastir
>> platform.  Any suggestions/pointers/RTFMs for a lightweight window
>> manager for such an underpowered rig?  I'll probably be running CentOS
>> (that's what I use at work) unless someone convinces me I should try
>> something different.
>>

>    I wouldn't call 800Mhz underpowered unless you're one of those gamer
> weenies.  I run xastir just fine on an 800Mhz laptop running Ubuntu with
> the gnome default desktop.
>    If you want to run a lightweight desktop, try Xubuntu, which uses the
> simpler xfce desktop.

I'm running VectorLinux 5.9 Standard on a 800 Mhz desktop (Xfce window
manager), and it does fine.  Xfce isn't a bad choice, but Fluxbox or
Openbox would be even lighter.  The final choice comes down to
personal preference.  You might want to try Crunchbang Linux
(essentially Ubuntu with Openbox), but I have to admit that I haven't
tried it yet on a low powered machine.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX