[Xastir] Newbie APRS help

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 26 16:12:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Mike GM1WKR wrote:

> I'm a newbie to APRS and want to set up a Digi and iGate but still have the
> machine in runlevel three.  Then when I want Xastir I can start X.
>
> I think I need Digi_ned, could someone provide me a sanity check that
> digi_ned will do the necessary and that Xastir will work as a client to
> that?  Sorry if this is a silly question.

I don't think Digi_NED does igating, but I might be wrong.  It is
wonderful at digipeating, and is very configurable.  It runs on DOS
or Linux.  The way you'd set up Digi_NED on Linux would be to set up
an AX.25 kernel networking port first, then attach Digi_NED to that
port.

Xastir, when you have it running, would connect to the same AX.25
networking port, so Digi_NED and Xastir would be sharing the port.
Xastir is not a client of Digi_NED at all.

You can think of an AX.25 kernel networking port as being very much
like your ethernet port:  Multiple applications can use it at the
same time.  In fact, some of the standard Linux applications may try
to talk out that port unless you block them, for instance Samba and
IceCream.

For igating you could run Xastir or some other package (perhaps
javaprsserver?), but for runlevel 3 you wouldn't be running Xastir.

Check out this link for additional choices:

     http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Software

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer